Saturday, May 23, 2015

Audio/Visual test and title (Finally!)

So I'm almost done with all of the backgrounds needed for the demo (in fact I've actually added one more initially unplanned background- worth it).

Seems I'm fleshing things out more and more each day, which is great, I find myself constantly asking myself "so what are the character's motivations?", "how can I take advantage of this situation/conversation/puzzle to show their personality?", "What definite characteristics do you want to put forth?", "How will you differenciate them? What do the characters agree on? Why would they stick together, do they need to?"

This is kind of why I usually like doing things as I go along, feeling like things are getting done motivates me to actually look at the details closer; I guess I'm a pragmatist?

 Anyways, here's an animation and sound test:


Part of me feels like I should create the isometric parts of the walkcycle, but another part of me is saying, it looks alright (does the job) and that I really should move on.

This will be my first game that uses the keyboard to move the character (using Khris' keyboard module from the AGS forums), I'll have to figure out how the character will interact with their suroundings, I'm thinking Final Fantasy 9 style- basically in that game when the main character encounters a hidden item a question mark or exclamation mark appears above their heads- I'm thinking when the main character of my game hovers over a hotspot that happens and you either press the 'A' or 'D' keys to interact; I still have to figure out how to do/script that, I'll try my best!

The looping music still has a slight pause before continuing so I still have to edit the sound file a bit more.

NB: The snow is a huge character sprite and was a test for a different game (the bg above was a test for a different game as well, I might never complete that one, seemed like a silly idea then and now).

Today I finally decided on a title for the game! "Book of Akiva". Basically the game is set around the kingdom of "Akiva" and it's kind of a "Tales of" situation, I could start it up like a history book, I could even have an easter egg within the game "The Book of Akiva: a history of the past 300 years" or something; if I ever want to make a sequel y'know?

No comments:

Post a Comment